"Gâteau au Vin Chaud" (French Mulled Wine Cake)
Do you still have “French Mulled Wine"? Take this opportunity to prepare a French Mulled Wine Cake with chocolate chips.
It is a recipe that comes from Alsace (East of France).
- 250 g caster sugar (around 2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla sugar
- 250 g of butter (at room temperature)
- 4 eggs
- 250 g High grade flour (around 2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 150ml of cooled French mulled wine
- 100 g of dark chocolate chips (around ½ cup)
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C
- Cream the butter and sugars.
- Add egg yolks and gradually flour, baking powder, powdered cocoa, ground cinnamon, cooled French mulled wine and dark chocolate chips.
- Beat the white eggs until stiff peaks are formed and add them to the mixture.
- Pour the dough into individual moulds buttered or in a large buttered mould (26 cm in diameter) and lined with a circle of baking paper.
- Bake in the hot oven for 20 to 25 minutes for the individual moulds and for 55 to 60 minutes for the large mould.
- Remove the mould (s) from the oven and allow to cool before unmoulding.